The Applecado blog
PHP Frameworks; Why We Use Symfony
Later this week, London will be hosting Symfony Live 2014. It seems a very good time to talk about frameworks, Symfony itself and why we use it.
Let me begin by explaining that PHP is a programming language. A framework supports that language, ensuring that the code is set up in a certain structure, and that a certain quality of code is met.
A framework inspires better development by ensuring compliant, structured, maintainable and upgradable code in online applications. Following the ‘rules’ of a framework means that any Symfony developer or team will be able to understand the code or project with a view to maintain or update it in the future.
In turn, a framework will provide faster and better development.
Symfony has been around since 2005, and is very well established. It is trusted by big names such as TED, BBC and Yahoo, and has been used to create many huge websites and applications. The Symfony framework has a large following and an active community of developers, contributors and users. It is open source, which means anyone can use it, and it isn’t hidden behind high entry and accreditation costs.
We chose, and continue to choose Symfony because it:
- has a number of inbuilt security features.
- interacts very nicely with databases such as MySQL and PostgreSQL.
- was built for performance (version 2.0, released in 2011 was written with speed in mind).
- ensures correct syntax, some features won’t function unless the code has been written correctly.
- can help speed up development, or put focus on other bespoke areas by allowing repeated code to be generated automatically.
- fantastic for testing, some areas of unit testing are taken care of. The framework allows us to break down and debug individual areas of code.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us!
- “Are you looking for a new #eCommerce platform for your business?
Read our blog about the various off-the-shelf sol… https://t.co/oUgcPTstbw ”
4th June 2020
- “We loved working with Kingsclere Estates to help launch Ibworth Woodlands Natural Burial Ground - check out their b… https://t.co/7l17Pt7D5r ”
2nd June 2020
- “Fantastic! https://t.co/4W0xDqMVW5 ”
1st June 2020
- Hey online shop owners, weve written a new blog about eCommerce platforms and marketplaces, and how a bespoke eCommerce build can help your business. Check the link in our bio for more information, let us know if we can help you or even if you just have
- Look at this lovely rainbow of colours Its BTF20 this week and next, check out the britishtomatoes site and find loads of info and gorgeous recipes.
- Popped out for a postworkday walk yesterday evening, so lucky to have these green spaces near home and the office. workingfromhome agencylife